• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 xharajukux

xharajukux

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 10:27 PM

Hi, Im 14 years old, and as much as my parents support my dreams, They're not willing to pay tons of money for headshots. Is there a way to take your own picture and just make it look professional? Or should I go to Wal-mart and have my picture done?
Would agencies accept pictures taken at Wal-mart?
Don't Forget to stop by my profile =)
http://MarahAngara1.StarSearchCasting.com

• Guests

Posted 17 September 2007 - 11:11 PM

hiya it's Mike 'FILEYBELLE'!
I've seen loads of examples of people attempting to do their own headshots, unfortunately most of them look too intense or staged! It is really difficult to do your own shots successfully, particularly if they are going to be for agancy use!

My suggestion would be to get a good friend to come along with you on a day out somewhere and ask them to take lots and lots of shots of you in differing sittuations and with different expressions! Ask them to get some when you are not noticing also as these will be very natural ones! Make sure you get about two of every pose in order to select the best also sometimes a good shot may have red eye and by taking two of each you may have one without it!
Once you have your photos you can crop accordingly on your computer!
Good luck and best wishes!

#3 BlacksandBays

BlacksandBays

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 07:51 PM

Hehe, I just used my most recent school photograph. It's professional, and must be taken anyway, so I figured "Why Not?!".

How different are headshots compared to school photographs? Are they the same, or is there something else about them?

• Guests

Posted 15 October 2007 - 09:06 PM

I think a School Photo head shot is acceptable if it is current and clear, however, a variety of head shots for acting or modelling will show differing looks and expressions which is more advantagous when selling yourself via images!

Good luck & best wishes as always from
MIKE!

#5 BlacksandBays

BlacksandBays

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 02:12 PM

Ah, that makes sense. Thank you for clearing that up for me, Mike. Or...should I call you Fileybelle?

• Guests

Posted 16 October 2007 - 04:30 PM

He He just call me FILEY I got knicknamed that the other week here!
I just looked @ the sitelink and replied to you ok Chloe!
Best wishes
MIKE
or FILEY!

#7 BlacksandBays

BlacksandBays

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 09:29 PM

Lols. Okay then, I'll just call you Filey - if you don't mind. ;)

• Guests

Posted 16 October 2007 - 10:01 PM

Lols. Okay then, I'll just call you Filey - if you don't mind. ;)

Fileys cool :) It seems to have stuck :D I don't mind at all!

No Knickname for Chloe then lol?

I have just been helping someone here with their photos, so I shall go scan the up-dates in forum, I'm sure you have posted more lol!

RE: Marah: I know that in Modelling Photographers prefer varied basic polaroids initially of head shots and full shots without scenes and image enhancements - to get a true picture of the person! Just thought I would add that!

#9 BlacksandBays

BlacksandBays

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 10:17 PM

No, I'm not sure there is a nickname for my name.
Hehe, I need to get more photos taken - even though I'm naturally shy when it comes to taking photos.
How do you think I should go about getting more pictures? Go to a photographer, or just ask family members to take pictures?

• Guests

Posted 16 October 2007 - 10:46 PM

I think initially it is best to get a good friend or familt member to take some shots, make sure they take two of each though just in-case one or two have red eye!

I would suggest aiming for at least two differing head shots and two differing full length shots, maybe one casual and one dressy depending on you! If you take with digital camera then it is easy enough to up-load to your pictures as you probably already know!

FILEY!

#11 BlacksandBays

BlacksandBays

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 12:29 AM

Heh, I WISH I had a digital camera! Perhaps I'll put that on my wishlist for Christmas. I do have a traditional camera, but I don't feel like having my own darkroom in my...room.

• Guests

Posted 17 October 2007 - 01:39 AM

Oh ok! I was just thinking that with Digital Cameras and the like, you have the Memory Card option to instantly get your photos online!

Trad Cameras are no probs many people stand by them over digital!

I would like to see more photographers get involved at forum as I stated before, it helps those of limited resources or ability to access good photography, plus it showcases how helpful and good a photographer actually is. I would love to see some before and after examples highlighted by Industry Professionals here!

FILEY!

• Guests

Posted 06 November 2007 - 01:58 AM

Further to this entry:

I have since added some photo ideas at the following topic

http://www.starsearc...howtopic=113923

RE: Port Page Photos & Other Additional Photos!

#14 Singandiva

Singandiva

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 03:34 AM

My mom worked there when I was younger, she wasn't a professional, but she was pretty good! I would say go for it, either that, or go to a photo school and ask if they can have a student take pictures for them. They want all the experience they can get so when they get professional jobs, they have experience, so they usually are free (I don't know about printing the pictures though, that might cost you ;))

• Guests

Posted 18 January 2008 - 02:17 AM

Hi, Im 14 years old, and as much as my parents support my dreams, They're not willing to pay tons of money for headshots. Is there a way to take your own picture and just make it look professional? Or should I go to Wal-mart and have my picture done?
Would agencies accept pictures taken at Wal-mart?

Since adding this initial posting Marah has come on leaps and bounds with her own photography, so it is just a matter of being resourceful within you means!

Necessity is the Mother of Invention

Just check out Marahs alternating photo of her recent headshots and go check her album at Gallery everyone!

If you want some Ideas or direction on Photo options please read some of the helpful site postigs on headshots and comp Card Photos! Also check out my Topic on photo ideas at this topic:

http://www.starsearc...howtopic=113923

Best Wishes from
MIKE!

#16 Andria

Andria

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 08:45 PM

I have the same exact problem, Im just going to use my school photos

#17 friv

friv