• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Casting

Casting

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 26 September 2002 - 04:53 AM

A lot of people getting started in show business are under the misconception that all you have to do is submit a headshot and resume to a few talent agents or to a few casting calls and then they can expect to be a star tomorrow; unfortunately, that is not how this industry works. There are many people trying to get work at any given time and you must compete with all of them. While you are always competing, there are many times where it isnít competition at all. The one sure thing is that it doesnít come easy and you need to plant as many legitimate seeds as you can and nurture them until they begin to grow into a successful show business career.

The basic thing you need to do is to get yourself in front of the decision-makers in the industry. You need a good headshot and to begin to build your resume. Please realize that just because you submit a headshot and resume to a talent agent or casting director, it does not mean that you will get the job and you may not even get a call. There are so many factors that figure into who gets a call, who gets an audition and ultimately who gets the part. Letís talk about these factors as well as the factors that you can control, to some degree, to give yourself the best chance of getting the call, the audition and ultimately the job.

Even if you can have the best headshot and resume in the history of entertainment, you may still not get a call to audition. Understand that when a casting director is viewing headshots and considering talent for the job, she/he will already have some idea of what the role calls for. When they look at your headshot, if they donít see you fitting into that role, you will not get a call. This does not mean that you arenít talented and it does not mean that you wonít make it in this industry. It simply means that you are not the "type" needed for that particular part. Donít give up. Keep trying for the many other jobs out there.

You should send out many packages (e.g. headshot and resume) so that you maximize your chances of getting work. If you are trying to get an agent, send packages to many agents and maybe 2 or 3 will be interested and you can choose the best one for your purposes. When you donít get a call, donít be discouraged because there are so many reasons for you not getting a call and they may have absolutely nothing to do with you.

If a casting director is casting for a love scene, he may have a lot of actors and actresses submit for the parts. The casting directory may go through the headshots of all the females and then all the males. He may pick out all the people who look right for the part. As an example, letís say that you are one of 20 guys they chose and your height is 5í9". You may be called in to audition and do a really great audition. The casting director may even ask you if you are available on the date they are shooting and what size shirt and slacks you wear. You leave feeling like you got the gig and at that point they may intend to hire you. Now, they have to find a female counterpart for you. The casting director will have the females come in to audition and out of all of the actresses the best one is 5í9" as well. The casting directory also knows that the actress has to wear heels in the scene before the love scene, which along with her hair will make her at least 6 feet. In this industry and in life, most guys are taller than their girlfriend and remember that you are 5í9". They may look back through the audition tapes of all of the actors who auditioned and who were at least 6í tall and offer the role to one of them instead of you.

So donít beat yourself up when you donít get a call, just continue to work on your craft. Continue to send out packages. Eventually you will get a call and as you build your resume and make some money, you can invest in better headshots and send more packages and you get better jobs and make more money and continue to get better agents, etc. The more you do and the longer you do it, the better the results will be. Sometimes people do get a call the very first time they send a package out, but if you expect to get a call everytime that you submit a package, you will be disappointed. You can lessen the disappointment if you understand the process. Once you understand that this business requires hard work, talent, patience and some luck to make it, you will not be so disappointed when you donít get a call.

#2 lily2005

lily2005

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 03:38 PM

I am just starting out on this site. I have been with an agency before but now I don't know where to start. I want to send my head shot and resume out, but I don't know where to look for a good place to send it. Please help me out. I'm lost.

#3 gdavis5

gdavis5

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 06:47 PM

I am just starting out on this site. I have been with an agency before but now I don't know where to start. I want to send my head shot and resume out, but I don't know where to look for a good place to send it. Please help me out. I'm lost.

My son started in the biz last year, we researched talent agents for months, also visited all the agents in Houston, Tx. Some were obviously scams, after months of frustration we finally found a great agent, we lucked out and walked into office and they had him do his 2 minute monolog on camera, luckily all agents were there to interview him, he was offered
a contract on the spot, they advised us to take it home look it over, we had a lawyer review it. I found we had more success visiting their offices, although some aren't very happy if you don't make appt. first. Don't give up.
http://GuyDavis.StarSearchCasting.comDreaming is great living those dreams way better!!!!!!

#4 Renababy1

Renababy1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 May 2008 - 04:52 AM

You guys say build you resume what exacatly does that mean if your not getting any job offers to do.
I believ it looks kinda bad to casting dir. if you submit a resume having nothing. What exactly is the first step if you havnt had any gigs to put on your resume

#5 sabrinajones08

sabrinajones08

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 July 2008 - 05:07 PM

I absolutely agree with the 4th comment. I was wondering the same thing...

#6 paulrogic

paulrogic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 01:04 PM

lie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users